Are you retiring or transitioning in 2013?



Use this checklist to help ease the transition into civilian life.  Don’t wait until 30 days before transitioning or retiring to start the process.

Career.  Use the USBA Military Jobs Center to start planning your civilian career.  It’s powered by the nation’s largest military placement agency, Orion International.  Also start networking with other veterans and attending career fairs.

Physical move.  Your transition will most likely require moving—whether it’s across town, cross country or back to your home of record.  Once you have chosen your new hometown, arrange for transportation guidance. Schedule an appointment with your installation’s Transportation Office. Reimbursement for moving expenses is limited. If you plan to move yourself, use this detailed checklist

Housing.  Are you planning to buy or rent?  Do you want a home with a yard, condominium or apartment?  Work with a real estate agent, rental broker and online resources to streamline your search.  Also research financing options for veterans.

Health insurance. While health insurance may be provided at your civilian job, you’ll be responsible for medical expenses between when your military health care ends and your private insurance starts.  Ask your Transition Officer or the Health Benefits Advisor at any military medical facility to help you secure transition coverage before your separation.

Life insurance.  SGLI covers you for the first 120 days after you separate. Prior to its expiration, review your options and get new life insurance in place.  Even though your civilian occupation may be less risky in terms of combat danger – keep in mind no job is bulletproof in today’s economy. You don’t want to risk your family’s future.  Get help looking for life insurance

Finances. Your financial situation can change dramatically during your transition, so financial planning is critical. Service department Family Centers offer financial planning seminars, as well as individual counseling.

Resources.  Use the transition counselors available at your full-time post.  The MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) division is another helpful resource.  You can also get help here building a personal transition plan onlineAnd this Military Separation Guide may also be helpful.

Back to Blog Home Page