Jumpstart your 2012 taxes in February



Just thinking about April 15th is enough to cause a major headache. Between collecting the right documents, following all the current tax laws and getting everything submitted, tax time can be overwhelming.

But with a little early effort on your part and help from outside resources (e.g. your installation military Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) office and Military OneSource), the process doesn’t have to be so stressful. 

To get a jumpstart this month, gather these documents and put them in a folder, drawer or shoebox:

  • Social Security number and date of birth for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Child care, education and adoption costs
  • W-2 forms from all employers for you and your spouse
  • Form 1099 for independent contractors
  • Investment income forms
  • Alimony information
  • Social Security benefits
  • Miscellaneous income
  • Form 1098-E for student loan interest
  • Charitable donations
  • Uninsured medical and dental expenses
  • Real estate taxes
  • Receipts for any deductible expenses

W-2 forms are typically available from your employer by the end of January. You can also download your military W-2 from myPay. Tax forms are available at your local post office, library and the IRS website.

Don’t wait until April. Get started now.  Find more help here.

Back to Blog Home Page