2014 USBA scholarship winners head to college
Congratulations to this year’s Dietrich Memorial Scholarship winners who are starting college this fall with financial assistance from USBA.
Andrew Hurst of Indiana is majoring in biology at Yale University. Andrew is the grandson of Norman Beesley, a Commander in the Navy and USBA member since 1972.
Brianne Hoglin of Colorado is attending Lipscomb University with a major in Exercise Science/Physiology. She is the granddaughter of Richard Hoglin, an Air Force Major and USBA member since 1989.
Andrew and Brianne were selected as recipients of the 2014 Dietrich Memorial Scholarship based on their academic achievements, leadership accomplishments and community service. This scholarship is awarded annually to deserving graduating high school seniors who are children or grandchildren of USBA members in good standing.
Now in its 24th year, this non-renewable $2,000 college-assistance grant was established in memory of former USBA Executive Director and President, the late Maj Gen William Dietrich, USAF (Ret.). General Dietrich was a charter member of USBA which was founded in 1959. Dietrich was elected to the Board of Governors in 1972 and served as USBA President from 1985 until his death on December 18, 1989. He previously had served as Executive Director.
Do you have a child or grandchild who is a senior in high school? The 2015 scholarship application is available here and must be submitted by your college-bound graduating senior no later than March 31, 2015.
Life Insurance for Military: Which of these apply to you?
At USBA, we help active, retired, and transitioning military find the right life insurance protection for their needs. Here are the 10 reasons to consider trusting USBA with life insurance to protect your family. Which applies to you?
- You’re about to leave the military and your SGLI life insurance will end 120 days after your last day of service. You want to find affordable protection to replace it.
- You’ve already transitioned from the military and now the SGLI clock is ticking. You’re on a mission to find affordable life insurance from a provider you can trust so there’s no gap in your family’s protection.
- You’re still on active duty in the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard, but you need more than the SGLI maximum of $400,000. USBA coverage is portable; you can keep it in and out of the service.
- You want to supplement your SGLI with portable insurance you can keep no matter how many times you change jobs in civilian life.
- You’re looking for military-friendly coverage that includes an Emergency Death Benefit that can pay your spouse beneficiary an emergency payment of 50% of the proceeds (up to $15,000) on telephone notification of your death. This can be very helpful at a time when other money may be tied up for your family and hard to access.
- You’ve recently remarried and now have additional financial responsibilities for your blended family.
- You’ve recently married and you now have more than just yourself to think about.
- You’re over 50 and you want permanent lifetime coverage with cash value and guarantees.
- You and your spouse have a new addition in your family and you want to make sure there’s money for college should something happen to you.
- You want to make your own insurance decisions in the privacy of your home. But you’d also like to know you can talk with someone knowledgeable about your choices, someone who understands the unique needs of those who serve in the military.
USBA stands ready to assist you and your family. Get a free quote online—there’s no obligation. Or call 1-877-297-92365 to get answers to your questions.
Who is eligible for USBA membership?
YOU ARE if you’re an active duty or a retired member of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Marines, Air Force or Coast Guards; in the reserves (including I.R.R. and National Guard); an honorably discharged veteran; a federal civilian employee; or the spouse of any of the above. Our only mission is serving those who serve and have served the United States of America.
USBA membership has no membership fees and no annual dues. You automatically become a USBA member when your USBA life insurance application is issued.
If you’re new to USBA, here are some things you should know about our non-profit association. The people at USBA understand the needs of America’s military families. Several are retired military or have family who are active duty. We’ve safeguarded families like yours through 11 presidents, 3 wars, and repeated ups and downs in the U.S. economy. Our mission is to help active and transitioning military find affordable life insurance protection they can keep after their SGLI ends.
Get complete details about all USBA Group Life Insurance plans including age eligibility.